Monday, January 26, 2009

What's that bumpin in the back?

Ok so this was my morning text today...

"What's playing with the bass pumpin? With various aspects of life groovin to the beat, is it to God's rhythm? First we must turn down our volume. Seek. Matthew 6:33"

But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well.

It was demanded to blog something [Steven] about this thought so I shall.

Origin:
This thought came from the fact that I had both the radio in the living room and the radio in my room on. Both were on the same station and at one point my alarm started going off turning off the radio in my room. During this time I could only hear the station in the living room.

I thought about the fact that while my radio was on in my room I could really in essence only hear my station or a partially amplified version, but I didn't discern the other radio's tunes.

Thoughts:
Like all radio stations we have to "seek". There are times when we are told about a good station or what not, but at some point we have to put in the coordinates.

Similar to when my radio in the room was off... there are times when you may not know exactly how to turn the radio on in particular rooms (i.e. lovelife, school, friendships, work, depression, etc). At those times sometimes just turning the radio off helps. That way you can hear what's playing in the main room of your heart. Hopefully that's God. Sometimes it's not. There are times when we depend on ourselves to not only live our lives, but to DJ at the radio station too. So we're living life and advising the same life... A life that we know nothing about. A life that we haven't lived or seen before and can't see past the next second, let alone where we're going to be in the next five years.

You know how when you call a radio station you have to turn your radio down so that they don't clash?? (lol... wow) This is so our lives. Whether we're listening to HVN 77.7 or our own FLSH 98.6 it's important for us to turn it down when we're calling in. They'll be feedback on both lines and neither of us will be able to hear. On one hand we're calling in with our positions at church before us, filling the air essentially with booti-chatter. We aren't coming humbly to Him and attempting to listen. We're calling and all He hears is stagnant... I mean static :) On the other hand we're calling and all we hear is us. We act as if we've called the request line and just have a list of songs we want on the countdown at 7.

I thought about how this happens in our spiritual life. Being one that is IN LOVE with music I feel our spiritual lives are somewhat represented by what we have on our ipods. What exactly do we "blast" in our lives? What are people hearing without us saying a word?


hmm... personally I think of how my music changes at different times. There are times when I listen to strictly gospel, other times when there's a mix. If my packaging had the ingredients of my life it would vary.

At times it looks like this...
Ingredients: Jesus, devotion, prayer, Kiki Sheard, Kirk Franklin, conversation with God, Cece Winans, Daryl Coley, "Cool" by Anthony Hamilton, "Respect" by Kendra Foster, inadvertant gossip, and various types of idleness (i.e. Bad Girls Club, House Hunters, Property Virgins, Color Splash, flipping channels, Wii).

Then there are times when it looks like this...
Ingredients: Half-Prayer, The Foreign Exhchange, conversation with God, Jill Scott, Anthony Hamilton, John Legend, "War" by Kiki Sheard, "Look Up" Tye Tribbet, attempted devotion.

I know that my midset depends on which ingredients I'm working with or which station is tuned louder. Which station is in all the different rooms of my life... To be honest there's one room that He's in and out of and it's the last place I need Him to reign.

This blog is essentially why I created this blogspot. I want us to check our ingredients a bit, see what we're working with. You frost a cake with gravy and you can't baste a turkey with frosting.

What would you like to add to the stew?

2 comments: