Wednesday, January 21, 2009

So I decided to write a letter to my unborn, un-conceived child.


Dearest [Angel],

Yesterday history took place and I'm so glad it did. See that President that we have/had was the very first Black President in America and it was a super big deal. Mommy didn't go to the inauguration and that is the one thing that makes her sad to this day. One thing that I want to share with you is that you should ALWAYS take risks and follow your heart. There are going to be many things in life that seem to have logical answers, but sometimes the answers are not actually logical. Feed your imagination. Mommy and Daddy have been inspired by the President and First Lady and that is why we plan to give you the best life we (through God) can offer you.

When I first heard that President Obama was going to run for president I was excited and I near about held my breath waiting for him to announce what he was going to do. Even then I didn't quite see ALL THIS, but I was very excited that a man of such character would run for President of the United States of America and try to beat the odds. Moral: always live life like you would run for President & step out on faith.

The campaign trail was interesting. People were split between him and other candidates for the democratic nomination like Hilary Clinton (former first lady). He ran a VERY CLEAN campaign and held his head up with pride. They found NO DIRT. The most they could pull out is that he smokes. Now that is a small thing... but I don't want you to ever smoke because that is a habit that even a man that wonderful has a hard time breaking. Plus it's nasty and the boys won't want to kiss you. I had a wager with our Pastor that he would win the nomination to represent the democratic party. The winnings were to go to the building fund... well... I won! And a piece of that front pew is due to our little wager. ;) Moral: always stand behind what you believe and sometimes you can get something out of it ;P

He remained steadfast and many people were behind him. Although in Alabama there wasn't a lot of Obamanation going on, back in my homestate of Oregon there was a lot of hoopla! All different races and everything. This is the type of dignity I want you to have. Always treat people with respect and never say never. Believe in your dreams and with God you can catch them all!! I voted for him on November 4th even though I knew Alabama was going to be a state that voted for his opponent. They did. President Obama didn't win Alabama, but he won SO MANY other states and he became "President Elect". Moral: always vote for who you believe is best even if you think the majority will go against you

As I said before, one thing I am so sorry that I didn't do is go to the inauguration. I tried to think so much about it and rationalize it. From well before President Obama was nominated I planned to go and was waiting for tickets. When I emailed my senator he informed me there were no more tickets and I didn't understand that there were going to be different events taking place. Your auntie Tanesha was very sure and purchased her tickets even two weeks before he was elected... I wish I had done the same. I thought that the cost of the trip to not actually see the President was not going to be worthwhile, but I was wrong. I didn't think about the people that would be there and the fact that I would have such an amazing experience to share with you. I didn't realize that the campaign was about the people, so in essence THE PEOPLE were the reason I should have gone. I have many friends that have stories to tell so I will let them share stories with you below and you can see what it was like through there eyes...

[share your story below]

I love you so much,
Mom

2 comments:

  1. Great post. And congrats on launching the blog(s)! I'm sure you will get lots of hits ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ok. When you finally read this you will realize how silly your mom was for NOT heading to DC on January 20th for the most historic moment of our nation's new millennium. My wife and I knew that we needed to do whatever it took to get to DC. We only had about 3-4 hours of sleep over 48 hours. It was classic!!! To be cold for 8 hours (I mean, frostbite-type cold...REAL cold) and not even be that upset because you know that you are a part of something bigger than cold...THAT is what your mom missed.

    To feel the crowd's emotion with each passing minute. To live the excitement in the crowd as President Obama's swearing in grew nearer. That is why we went. It didn't really hit us until we were near tears during his speech. Just realizing that 50 years ago lynchings were still commonplace in the south. To think that people DIED and gave so much of themselves to see THIS moment. I knew that we had to be there to make what was done in the past even more meaningful. My message to you: travel randomly. GO PLACES. You wanna see Tibet? GO! You wanna experience Times Square at New Year's? GO!! You want to witness our first African American President? Don't watch it on TV...GO!!!!! Never regret...travel.

    ReplyDelete